Your outgoing personality is the perfect fit for this position! Work on the front lines greeting and directing Aquarium guests.
- Greet and direct visitors and others with business at the Aquarium.
- Answer visitor questions and provide accurate information about Aquarium services and events.
- Monitor activities at assigned areas for traffic flow and safety.
- Must be at least 15 years old.
- Comfortable standing for an extended period.
- Exceptional people skills.
- Must be outgoing and personable. A pleasant disposition is required.
- Must be comfortable with crowds.
- Ability to work independently with minimum supervision.
- Must be comfortable working outside in a variety of weather conditions.
Upon acceptance as a Guest Engagement Ambassador, volunteers must become familiar with Virginia Aquarium exhibits, ticket prices, and scheduled events.
This position requires a weekly 4½-hour shift between June and August. This is a summer position with the option to volunteer during the school year. For those accepted as a guest engagement ambassador, if your schedule allows, you may begin your volunteer service as early as May 11, 2024.
In place of onsite interviews, we are accepting video submissions for this position. Interviews can be recorded on your cell phone or tablet. After recording, upload your video to YouTube and provide us with the link on your application. If a password is required to access your video, please share it. If permission is required, please remember to grant it to us. Applications received without the interview video will not be considered.
Read and follow the instructions noted below for your video submission:
- Each video should be 5-7 minutes.
- Introduce yourself. Give your first and last name and two fun facts about you.
- Share why you want to be a guest engagement ambassador at the Virginia Aquarium.
- Tell us about any experience you have giving directions or showing someone around. For example, it can be introducing a new student to classmates or giving them a tour of the school.
- With the permission of your parent(s), give us a tour of a room in your home or your backyard. Choose an area and tell us a little about it. Example – “The area to the left is where we all meet for family game night.”
- Present to the camera as if you are sharing information or giving directions to an Aquarium visitor. Tell us fun, interesting facts about the area. Be engaging; have fun.
Parent and Applicant Information Session
On Tuesday, March 5, 2024, at 6:00pm, all guest engagement ambassador applicants must attend a virtual information session with a parent or legal guardian. During the session, the Aquarium’s Volunteer Engagement Office will review the position requirements, the candidate selection process, and expectations for those accepted as volunteers. Access to the information session will be emailed to applicants by the close of business on Monday, March 4, 2024. Again, a parent or legal guardian must attend with the applicant.
Training details will be included in your welcome email if accepted as a guest engagement ambassador. Training includes:
- Online Courses
- Onsite Orientation
- Guest Engagement Ambassador Training
- Crew Training, a guest engagement strategies training.
A complete guest engagement application form must be submitted online and include the following:
- An interview video submission. The link to your video must be provided on your application.
- A completed application viewed and signed by a parent or legal guardian.
- Two references that are not related to you. Follow the recommendation instructions noted on the application form.
- A valid email address for the applicant is required on the application; communication is done primarily via email.
- Remember, incomplete application packets are not considered.